First Time Coaches
- Sign up for coaches training at LEGOLAND on Sep 22. 8:30am - 5pm. To Register Call 760-438- 5346. Questions on Workshop E-mail lynn.crockett@LEGOLAND.com. Any problems let me know.
- Build a Table that will be used for the Mat and Challenge items. Instructions are here. But it is a simple 4'x8' sheet of plywood with 2"x3" used as a border.
- Hopefully you now have a team of 5 to 10 kids and you should start talking about the Core Values of FIRST and this year's Into Orbit Theme.
Once you receive your Robot Kit and Challenge Kit Things get really moving
- Have the kids begin building all the challenges and have one or two in charge of reading the set up guide and keeping an eye that they are followed.
- Start building a simple Robot. If you are a Rookie team, there's no time to start from scratch on how to build a vehicle. The best thing to do is to use a guide to build one and concentrate on any attachments or modifications needed. Here are some samples you may use: Very Simple with attachments, A few more models. Even More Models
- Once you have a Robot built, start practicing programming. Don't worry about using sensors. You can do most challenges without them. Concentrate on movements and manipulating a third motor. Here are some good programming guides - EV3 Lessons,
- Here are some Programming Lessons. Remember to simplify tasks as much as possible. Most Rookie teams will only be able to score about 100 points on the Qualifying Tournaments.
- This is a GREAT resource complete with Specific Lesson Plans for Competing in FIRST LEGO League. We have our Canadian friends to thank for these. You must create an account, but they are free.
Key release dates
Challenge Materials http://firstlegoleague.org/challenge
Robot Game Mission Model Build instructions – Aug. 1
Challenge – Overview of Robot Game Missions and Project Parameters – Aug. 1
Challenge Guide – Rules and Resources for the Project and Robot Game – Aug.1
Field Setup – Where to place your Mission Models – Aug. 1
Event Guide for Teams
What to expect and how to prepare for an Official Event – Aug. 1
E-mail me with Questions